Friday 25 June 2010

Spinning demo TOMORROW and Sunday, Hemingford Abbots

This weekend is the Hemingford Abbots Flower Festival, including an Open Gardens event.  I got the 'call' for volunteers for this event (their regular spinner is ill and cannot make it) the Monday after my last demo - and I've been looking forwards to it ever since.

I love doing demos.  There is so much to talk about in spinning - craft, design, engineering, physics, history, archaeology.  Pretty much anyone who shows up with even a spark of interest can be sent away with a whole lot more, and I think that that is one of the most gratifying things in the whole world.



I spent part of this evening making a bunch more demo spindles.  These are really simple, unfinished bottom whorl drop spindles, which take minimal tools to create, but which work.  They're heavy enough for beginners, without being too heavy.  I've taken to carrying these around with me whenever I'm drop spindling, because there is always someone - even an established wheel spinner - who will be interested.

I've also invented a 'spot the handspun' quiz, involving a bunch of my stashed yarn, along with some hand knitted and hand woven projects.  I hope some people play along; I think there will be a few surprises, if they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment