Friday 5 February 2010

Dye-a-day #4: Thick and thin yarn, and springy colours

Today, let's look forwards to spring whilst still staying warm!  The super-springy 'New leaves' colourway is one of my favourites, and here I've used it on a luscious, thick-and-thin singles pure wool yarn that knits up quickly and creates really interesting texture with even the plainest stitches.

On a 'photography' note, this is the first of the dye-a-day photographs I've taken myself.  It didn't use any fancy lighting, just a white back drop and my on-camera flash.  It's OK, but not up to the standards I want!  I can see the texture of the background, there isn't enough light, and what light there is, is bouncing back at the camera too much.  I didn't really expect this to work as well as it did, because every time I try something as simple as this, I have massive problems with colour balance.  Perhaps it's something to do with the greens and browns, which my camera captures really well!  Anyway, it's a 'baseline' for my ongoing search for a simple and successful (and preferably cheap and compact!) yarn-photographing-setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment